Monday, January 16, 2012

Food Allergies

How are you bowel movements?
Are you regular?
Do you feel complete when you hehum move your bowels?

Those questions were only a few among what I had to answer not once or twice but three times recently. My nutritionist was the first to pose such questions. Then it was my magical Chinese acupuncturist followed by my naturopath.

I was happy to answer all the questions in the affirmative as all is normal in my life. But that's not something you want to know nor is it something I want to share.

In the spirit of integrative whole person naturopathic medical practices, my doc proposed that I submit my blood for a food allergy test. I've been extremely agreeable when it comes to my healthcare lately so of course I agreed to give up more blood even though I really didn't see the point of testing ME for any food allergies. I have never been allergic to anything in my life. But, according to my nutritionist, people can have a sensitivity to different foods even if it isn't obvious, if you know what I mean. And sometimes those sensitivities can impact your ability to lose weight. What, what?

So, I agreed and after a few extra pokes of the itty bitty butterfly needle because my veins are just that difficult, my awesome doc collected enough blood and sent it off to be tested. He told me it would take a couple weeks to get the results. That was just before Christmas.

Well, the results are now in. Interestingly enough, apparently I have or have had an allergic reaction to milk, beef, and lamb in particular. The results also stated that I show a sensitivity to all dairy, whole wheat, and gluten products. The news came as a surprise to me. I wouldn't think I have any of those things going on at all just by judging how I feel. But, doc suggested that I try cutting some of those things out of my diet for a few weeks then introduce them again. If I notice after introducing them that I feel sick or lethargic at all, I will know that the sensitivity is currently present.

I very rarely eat beef or lamb so those will be simple to eliminate from my diet. The problem will be the dairy products. I love cheese. I have milk in my oatmeal every day. I rely on plain yogurt as a staple snack.

Before even starting to reduce my dairy consumption I'm already feeling a void. But I've decided that I will give it a try. And I can still have goat and feta cheese so that's good news. I bought some soy milk and some almond milk to try.

I'm still not of the mind to remove gluten from my diet after reading about all the problems that can cause but I am willing to reduce the amount of gluten rich foods I consume. I've become willing to do just about anything in my power to tune up my immune system and be the healthiest person I can so we shall see how this dietary change will improve circumstances.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...