Monday, May 3, 2010

MAY I have some hot yoga please?

Well, April is over and the weight training was fun. I don't have any smokin' guns yet but I'm working on it. I did get the scale to move a bit after a few weeks of a stand still, so that's progress for sure. I really wanted the weight training month to get me back into the habit of it more than to actually show noticeable results by the end. Looking at it from that view, I think it was a success.

I've reviewed and revised my monthly activity calendar with my plan as it stands now. Would you like to see it?


Well, as you can see...I've kept the same weight training schedule as before. No changes to that. Perhaps I'll give you a gun show before and after so we can see how all those weights are working as time goes by. Hmmmm?

You'll also notice that I decided to put skating on there twice a week. Skating? Yes, skating. I made a declaration a few how ever many posts ago stating that I am determined to do the damn roller derby thing. I even dedicated a month to skating and derby practice. It was a disappointment. IT wasn't actually the disappointment, my abilities are the disappointment. It's a hell of a lot harder than it looks. So after going to the official derby practice league, it became oh so clear to me that I need a lot more practice before I can hang with those girls. And that's why skating is on the schedule. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

I've added the Hot Yoga to the schedule. Hot Yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays for now. We'll see how this works. I may do it on the weekend too. We'll see how I hold up with such a crazy wonderful schedule before I make any promises though.

HOT YOGA
What can I say about the lovely art of hot yoga? How about answering a couple common questions and concerns? These are the biggies that I've heard over and over.
  • How hot is hot yoga?   
  • Well, the temperature varies depending on each studio, the climate outside, and how many people are in a class but it is typically set at about 105F.
  • How long are classes?   
  • I'm going to be doing Bikram Yoga which is a 90 minute class. There are other types of yoga that are now done in a hot environment that are only 60 minutes though.
  • I've heard that people vomit and/or pass out in hot yoga classes, is that true?  
  • It's definitely possible to vomit and/or pass out in a hot yoga class if you don't adequately prepare for the class. It's absolutely imperative to drink enough water throughout the day to be properly hydrated. Dehydration is typically the culprit for making people feel sick in hot yoga. The other thing to consider is restricting your food intake within 2hours of the class. If you go in with a full stomach, you might not be a happy camper.
My first class this month will be tomorrow so I'll be sure to report all the good, the bad, and the ewwww of my first Bikram Yoga class.

Tell me what else you want to know about hot yoga.