Saturday, October 17, 2009

Roller Derby Rocks!

I just saw the new movie "Whip It" last night. Love it! How can you go wrong with Drew Barimore and Juliette Lewis.

If you haven't guessed it yet, the movie is about roller derby. It takes place in Austin, TX. Drew is the crazy funny one on one team and Juliette is the superstar cocky roller girl from an opposing team. The movie is kind of a coming of age for a teenage girl with lots of girl on girl rollerskating and fight action. Bad ass!

So anyway, this is not a movie review. I just felt the need to share roller derby as a possibility for one of my activities next year maybe. I already have rollerskating on the list but never even considered turning it into roller fighting. Hell ya! I have some aggression. I'm a mean little shit sometimes. I might be short but I can hold my own with the badest ass girls around. Now if only I could balance on roller skates.

I use to have roller blades and tried them twice I think. My hubby and I took a couple trips around Greenlake in Seattle and it was fun and all...until I fell flat on my ass. You know that fall. When you swear that everyone around could hear your tail bone hit the cement and throw that paralyzing shot up your spine causing everything between your jaw and your toes to tighten and freeze as though you were just electrocuted. Ya, I had a few of those and that was enough for me. Ouch!

Okay, now that I think about it...maybe roller derby isn't for me. I dunno. We'll see. What do you think?

Here's the trailer for the movie:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...