Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Prelesson Thoughts

It's funny. I'm a little nervous. Excited and nervous. Today is the big day. Today is my first tennis lesson. It's silly that I'm nervous actually because I've played tennis before. I took a summer of lessons when I was a kid growing up in eastern Washington. I can honestly say that I don't remember a thing I learned all those years ago. I just remember the ball machine spitting balls at me one after the other. Probably a good thing that I start with something I'm relatively familiar with so I don't run away screaming.

I called the community center yesterday to register for all the beginner and advanced beginner lessons for the month of August. As the woman was registering me she confirmed the advanced class. At that moment, I got a picture in my head of people running around the tennis court with their cute little white skirts on hitting the ball back and forth with elegance and grace while I sit in the middle of the court pouting because I don't know what I got myself into. Good thing we caught the error and hopefully registered me with all the beginners instead. Crossing my fingers that the 13 year olds don't point and laugh at me.

The other thing I found interesting when registering for the second term of lessons was that she didn't believe that I wanted to preregister all at once. She actually tried to talk me out of it. She said I might want to wait to register for the second term until after I know I like the first term.

I've been much more aware of my own thought processes lately and I guess it's making me more aware of other's as well. I've always had a "I am woman hear me roar" kind of attitude and presence about me. I don't think I'm annoying about it though. It's more of a "I can conquer anything if I want it bad enough" belief. Well, lately I have been accutely aware of people's uncanny ability to limit themselves with their thoughts and unfortunately, those that limit themselves also tend to share it freely with whoever will listen. I'm not suggesting that the woman on the other end of the line was intentionally trying to limit me but rather because that was her first thought, her first response, perhaps she limits herself. Some people might just say she was being helpful and/or cautious. She WAS very nice. To me, words of warning (when danger is not involved) sounds limiting. If you're going to limit yourself or others for that matter, then...what's the point of even trying? I say make a decision and go for it. There's no need to determine how far you can go before you even start. Just go!

1. Make a decision
2. Act!

I don't think it needs to be more complicated than that. There is a poem that I think puts it much better than I ever could. I'll post it separately for all to read.

Wish me luck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...