Wednesday, February 9, 2011

#3 Goal for 2011

Of my 3 big goals for the year, this one was the one I was most looking forward to. That might sound strange considering that the other 2 I shared were nothing short of wonderful.

#1 Goal - Melt the fat, ALL of it!
#2 Goal - Learn to speak French and take the hubby's dream vacation
#3 Goal - Defect from the suburbs for good

Yes, it's true, I desperately want to get the hell out of the wretched suburbs more than anything else in the world. You see, I'm a city girl. I love walking everywhere rather than driving from one end of a strip mall to the other. I love the boutique shops you find in the city over the over sized superstores that plague suburban American life. I prefer listening to the drunk homeless guy yelling profanities outside over the sound of the neighborhood kids drag racing down my street.

I had a plan and a beautiful plan it was. I have owned my house for a decade now and in that time have successfully remodelled it inside and out. We bought the house with the intention of staying no longer than 5 years because I detest the suburbs but we wanted to experience home ownership in all it's glory. We bought a fixer upper and fixeder up real good. It only took us 10 years. Now we're done and we planned to have it on the market at the end of February, priced to sell by the end of March. We were to be organized, packed up, and moved into our new high rise building in the city by mid April.

Cue the bad news.

The price to sell quickly would net us a bit of a loss with the crappy market the way it is now. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you out there depressing the market with your foreclosures, HUD homes, and short sales. Thank you very very much for ruining the fun for the rest of us....RESPONSIBLE people who can figure out how to pay our bills and make decisions to get ourselves into properties that are NOT above our standard of living. Thanks to you, my house is now worth the same amount it was worth back in 2000 when I purchased it.

So I get to sit and wait it out. How long? Who knows, a year, maybe 3. Bye bye high rise, bye bye door man, bye bye boutiques and drunk homeless dudes. I'll miss you, for I must sacrifice more years to the lifestyle that does not fit me or my goals and values.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN to city life and to all those people with foreclosures that you talked about. Looks like I need to stay at my current home for a bit longer just so I won't take a price hit.

    Give it some time and I'm sure you'll be able to get what you want.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...