Thursday, September 3, 2009

September Activity - Hiking

After very little consideration on the matter, I have decided to hike through the month of September. The Northwest is rich with hiking trails all over the place. Some simple strolls through meadows of wildflowers, some ass kicking vertical climbs. Waterfalls, lakes, caves, ice fields, lava tubes, rainforests, you name it, we've got it.

I've never been much of an outdoorsy tree hugging wilderness woman. Don't like the woods. I hate roughing it in any sense of the word. I've tried camping a couple times and it's just not for me. In my mind, acceptable camping must include porcelain and a down-pillow top mattress. Without those two must-haves, you can count me out. I don't know. Maybe I've just never had that wonderfully fun and exciting weekend camping trip with friends so my camping experiences are limited. Perhaps!

Never much enjoyed hiking either. Never liked the sweaty dirt dripping down my face and neck. The insect carcasses stuck to my skin are not pleasant. I can do without the blisters on the feet. Don't particularly enjoy the claustrophobic feeling I get with all the trees everywhere and the inability to see further than 100 yards in any direction. I'd have to say that my least favorite thing about hiking though is that you have to focus your attention on the ground in front of you for footing and I inevitably end up feeling dizzy after about 20 minutes. I know, I know...I'm a whiner. So true! I admit it fully.

I'm more of a beach girl myself. I like the wide open spaces where you can see the horizon. I enjoy being a spoiled city girl. I've worked very hard for my lifestyle and I enjoy pedicures and Fendi shoes and meeting friends for pink fruity drinks after sitting on my ass in my office all day. BUT, I've decided that if I want to be more active and I really want to push myself, I should do the things that I wouldn't normally do. This is one of those things. I can't promise that I'll be happy and cheerful about it but I can promise to do my best.

I'm starting with my first official September hike this weekend. I think I'm going to head over to Gold Bar and check out Wallace Falls. It should rain so I'm sure that will add to the experience or at least to the entertainment value for the two whole people reading this. Any suggestions for other hikes I should check out this month? I need ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...